Monday, October 18, 2010

Kuh-myoo-ni-tee

The English language has a marvellous repertoire of word play options. I like word play. And deciphering its meaning.

I think thinking about the words and phrases we use and what they actually say can create surprising insights, funny recognition, and astonishing revelation about ourselves and how we talk. I wonder whether we always know and mean what we say...Want an illustration?

  • Well, it applies to whole expressions: “I don’t suppose you could possibly spare a second to assist me with this?” means “Please, I need some help.”
  • With single words you might think it’s a bit easier. In church we have:
  • marriage = you get married, then you age - or
  • holiness = sacred monster - and
  • leadership = Paul Maconochie’s new yacht

But it does get trickier with some of our other lingo:

Say, we want to decipher the meaning of the word ‘community’.

  • Let’s base this on the assumption that most of us refer to community as a place of belonging and a form of togetherness.
  • If you look at the term’s components from its Latin origins, you see it consists of the terms ‘com’ and ‘unity’.Com translates simply into ‘with’, or more profoundly into ‘by means of’. Unity translates into ‘being one’ or ‘one-ness’.
  • Putting those two together, you could read the term community as ‘by means of one-ness’ and realize that the word some of us use about a hundred times a week stands for a whole concept of togetherness: community as a place of belonging by way of one-ness.
  • Or: We’re community, because we’re one. That sounds kind of nice, doesn’t it? After all, it’s not that difficult to agree that in Jesus we’ve come to be one with the rest of his body, the church, our community (Rom 12).
  • Something slightly more interesting happens when we turn this round: If community means ‘with one-ness’, then it must also be true that where there’s no one-ness, there’s no community. Now, I personally find that this hits a little harder than my friendly agreement to some abstract, metaphysical one-ness I share with the rest of you all.
  • It hits, because it confirms the sneaky suspicion that the absence of unity might be a painfully real part of my life. One that hinders me from entering into the sense of fellowship and relationship I desire so much. So, from a purely selfish point of view: I think it’s about time I work out the essence and meaning of unity! After all, it might get me better community.

Now, you might think that we can’t just base our understanding of unity on a little word play. That’s right: Let’s come up with some scripture to back up the newly found project pursuit.

Why unity? And...what is it actually?

Here’s for a starter:

To me that sounds like some proper incentive, if effective mission is something we’re after. Besides, doesn’t it just seem clever to put it on our wish list if even Jesus asked for it?

Now, while making Paul happy might not be the prime motivator of our lives, my guess is, he may just have had a point.

So, I can see this unity theme crop up in our very bible and it confirms that I want to ask a few more questions about it. Hopefully, next time I get to write on here, we’re a bit further on in our appreciation of what? why? and even how? Yeah, that’s right, I do mean we, cause after all, I can’t do unity by myself, can I?

I’d like to ask for some help, then, in asking these questions:

1) What is unity in our contexts? (and is it achieved by drinking tea at uni?)

2) What is its potential?

3) And where in my life can I make a start pursuing it - as of today

Let’s get cracking – by way of asking the Father, I’d say.

5 comments:

  1. I Love the word authentic. My heart's desire is for authentic encounters with God for myself and those that we lead into experience of His love. The word has a root in author as God Himself is writing the stories of our lives into being. His word is faithful and true and will always come to pass. We look unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith Heb 12:2 He is still writing our stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Tabea, very deep and very playful at the same time. Like your comment as well Julie.

    I'm reminded of Alan Hirsch's teaching on communitas. Now I know that can be dangerously close to jargon right now but his argument is that real community comes out of struggle together - which he calls liminality.

    This bears out in my life. The people I am closest too are the ones that I went through difficulty with whether its the mission trip type experience or walking through real hard times with them. Perhaps our decisions whether or not to suffer with one another affects our togetherness. If so, then getting down into the muck of other people's lives and choosing to identify with them in their struggles might be one thing that builds unity. Another might taking on difficult challenges and struggles together.

    A second point. Diane K is going to share some great stuff about community and communion/eucharist on Sunday at Philly. Don't want to steal her thunder so won't say much about it now. Perhaps good to listen to that as part of this discussion.

    Loving this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd echo Ben - we love to think about missional community as 'Communitas. Communities that have a common purpose that is beyond and outside themselves.

    It's this common vision that so often protects communities from getting insular when life gets hard. In my experience arguments and disputes within a community become so less important and easier to resolve when the community is formed around something outside of their own existence.

    The former Archbishop of York William Temple once said, "The Church is the only organisation that exists for the wellbeing and fraternity of its non-members".

    From looking at the blog and Facebook stats, there are increasing numbers of people now following this blog, via Facebook and Twitter, from all around the UK and even around the globe, including the following countries:

    UK (including Sheffield, Manchester, London, Coventry...)
    USA
    Denmark
    Norway
    Germany
    Switzerland
    Finland
    Australia
    France
    Sweden
    Peru
    New Zealand
    South Africa
    Canada

    Some readers are even reading it in a translated version, so just bear in mind any references to names or events within our local contexts may need explaining to those reading from the other side of the world!

    This is a fun blog to be part of :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, but I think there's something more than just the common purpose/vision that makes a community work. I know I've certainly been part of teams that have had a great common purpose but have felt very far from being community.

    I wonder if its the identification with each other in the difficulties of life, and in the struggles that we face together as we work towards out goal, that builds our sense of one-ness.

    Jesus didn't say the world would know we're his disciples if we shared the same vision. He said they would if we loved one another.

    Good to know that we're getting all those readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I've finally worked out how to leave a comment on here having tried and failed 3 times - thanks for the help Gareth!

    "Jesus didn't say the world would know we're his disciples if we shared the same vision. He said they would if we loved one another."

    - LOVE that Ben! I'm sure we'd all agree it's both/and not either/or.

    Loving the global connections too! :-)

    ReplyDelete