Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Training and Supporting Missional Leaders


As we have seen in the previous posts on this subject we are training and supporting leaders who have responded to a God given call and vision. That missional vision has come out of the missional culture that has been established. As we release those leaders into their missional vision it is essential that we have in place on-going support and training. All of us need this however experienced we are.


In her blog at the beginning of this series Helen wrote about apprenticeship. She gave us some very helpful thoughts on using the Lifeshapes Leadership Square as part of this process. The increasing use of the model of apprenticeship in the training and development of missional leaders as well as in society generally resonates with me personally.


I began my working life as an apprentice in the printing industry as a photo lithographer. When I started I signed a set of indentures that committed me to the company for 5 years. They also committed the company to me for that same period. There was a requirement on me to behave in a certain way but more importantly the company undertook to train me in the art and craft of photo lithography so that at the end of the 5 years I would be a qualified journeyman able to take my place among the skilled work force.


The training did contain some theoretical study and I still remember, even after many years the ‘inverse square law of light’, but mainly it consisted of practical training alongside skilled craftsmen.


They used the method we identify in the Lifeshapes Leadership Square. They did it while I watched. They talked to me about what they were doing and why and answered my questions.


Then I was allowed to help, again with lots of commentary on what was being done but now there were questions to me from them.


The next stage was one I still remember very vividly as I began to do some of the tasks. I still remember the things that went wrong and the discoveries I made through them.


Some of the mistakes kept being repeated until I really got it but in all that the people teaching me showed patience and persistence in ensuring that I learnt and could do the job. They gave lots of affirmation and encouragement, even when I kept making mistakes and they didn’t give up on me. That carried on through the next stage as ‘I did while they watched’. Sometimes that supervision was close at others it was just the occasional check. Very much low control, high accountability. I still remember the men who taught me during my 5 year apprenticeship. They invested in me and shared their experience and skills.


As I progressed through the years of my apprenticeship I began to take on some responsibility for other apprentices younger than myself. Not necessarily in teaching them great skills but in showing them how the place functioned and how to undertake the basic tasks that were essential for the smooth running of the department. When I was qualified I had apprentices of my own to train and it was through that process I learned even more about my work. Their questions stretched me and forced me to find answers to things I’d not thought of.


Training for missional leaders is important. Giving them the necessary information and skills is an essential part of the process. However we need to INVEST in them as thoroughly as we can both as regards to skill but also character. We should see them as whole people not just trainees. This requires us to commit to them in more than just skills training and the giving of information. This is costly but it is the way I have found that works. As we invest in missional leaders we are investing in disciples who in turn will invest in disciples and missional leaders.


I am so grateful to those who have invested in me over the years and to those that continue to do so. I would encourage you to thoroughly invest in those you are called to lead. You will have so much fun as you adventure together in missional leadership.



David Rosser

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff David and I love the example you use too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete