Monday, December 6, 2010

Laugh-out-loud perspective

I had a moment on my own the other day and found myself laughing out loud. I was reflecting on a situation I was finding difficult which basically centred around 2 things: i) how important or not I might be perceived by others ii) how difficult it can be to let others reap some of the seeds I have planted in people's lives.


And then I had a little glimpse of meeting Jesus face-to-face in heaven. And all of a sudden I realised how wrong my perspective was. It caused me to laugh-out-loud at how ridiculous and self-centred my thoughts had become!


How important (or not) I am, how much I appear to be advancing God's kingdom, whether I'm the one who reaps or sows... it's not what Jesus is looking at. There are two things that Jesus tells us to be concerned about. In Mark's gospel when one of the religious teachers asks Jesus which is the most important commandment Jesus replies "The most important commandment is this: 'Listen, O Israel!" The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind and all your strength' The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbour as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these." (Mark 12: 29-31)


Paul says in 1 Corinthians "We are only God's servants through whom you believed the Good News. Each of us did the work the Lord gave us. I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. It's not important who does the planting or who does the watering. What's important is that God makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work together for the same purpose." (1 Corinthians 3:5-8)


I wonder how much time, effort and emotions we waste by having the wrong perspective? How much of our time is spent worrying, striving, engineering, self-promoting...? We are simply God's servants. He's the one who makes the seed grow. We just need to focus on doing the work the Lord gives us (v5), and doing it with a heart of love for Him and for our neighbour.


We need to keep an eternal perspective and remember who Jesus calls us to be and how he calls us to live. I wonder how different our lives and our communities would look if we really lived this out.


Written by Anna R


1 comment:

  1. Love your perspective Anna - and that photo is the BEST!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete